Monthly Archives: October 2012
Three years ago our son gave us some wood plugs impregnated with oyster mushroom spores. We drilled some fairly fresh ash and field maple logs and inserted the plugs – and nothing happened. Now one of the logs has sprouted an oyster mushroom – but not enough to eat. Coincidently at the same time some natural oyster mushrooms appeared on an ash tree.
Walking in the wood yesterday I found several fungi, here are two of them. Both of these are edible (with care) – the Wood Blewit (Clitocybe nuda) which is supposed to be very good and (probably) Common Puff Ball (Lycoperdon Perlatum) which is edible but not with alcohol. Always ensure you can identify fungi before eating them, and most need to be cooked.